Sunday, February 8, 2009

This time next week I will be enroute to Cambridge Bay, Nunavut. I'm heading North for two weeks. If course I am not packed, not organized and the house isn't clean yet...but I did say it is a whole week away. And those of you who have traveled with me via the written word know that the packing and cleaning will commence a few hours before take off.

I'm really excited about the first week of the trip. The annual trade show will be on and I will get to see a few old friends from Iqaluit. Not as many as I would like, but a few.

I am hoping to stay in one of the apartments the company owns rather than the bunkhouse. Oh sure, it was fine last time, but I would prefer something with a bit more privacy. We have also discussed if management should be staying with non-management. It is still being debated. The problem gets into the conversations in the evenings. Do the non-management have the ability to vent their frustrations with management if management is in the same room? Should evening discussion revolve around work issues? Etc. I'm more concerned about having personnel files with me and folks getting into them or at least seeing them.

As an update on the sick girl. I was feeling better on Thursday but did go home early to nap. I slept a record 7 hours that night and managed to be productive on Friday. Then in the middle of the afternoon it happened...I was hungry and decided a small snack was in order. I opened up a can of tomato juice and within 5 minutes my top lip rivaled that of Angelina Jolie's. And let me tell you ladies and gentlemen I will not be getting my lips done anytime soon. Not a good look for me. I pumped in some benedryl and a few hours later the swelling started to go down. But I was concerned. Today, Sunday was the last day for the meds. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow and hopefully more meds will follow along with some insight on the allergic reactions. Two in one week for a person who has never had any is a big scary. And while I am on the mend, I am not cured yet...so I`m hoping for another dose of drugs. I do not want to fly with my current sinus issues. It will be a painful flight.

My fish will be headed to the office while I am away. I have considered taking him with me, but I think he would prefer the office to my Northern stopover. I am hopeful for many, many pictures from Cambridge Bay. Surely in the two weeks I will be there I will get sunshine at least one day. And with my new camera in hand I might even be able to capture a few good shots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I tried to reply to your email on Monday but my dial up internet didn't seem to want to comply with my wishes.

Exciting to be planning a trip to the "home land" to see old friends and do fun work.

That bunkhouse experience you had before was a "once in a life time" experience that you really don't need to repeat if at all possible.

This food allergy is quite something and hits out of the blue when you have no idea what food will set it off. Thank heavens for benedryl!

I hope the office fish care will be "good care" and that your little friends will live well without you.

Edith