Thursday, May 6, 2010

Welcome to my second last day of work at _. Yesterday was a very tiring day. I drove the 1.5 hours to Whitecourt on Tuesday night and was surprised and delighted how nice and quick a drive it is--divided highway the entire way. I arrived in Whitecourt and the first impression was--yuck! Quickly followed by, oh, ok, thats better.

The first thing you see when entering town is a strip of hotels, gas stations and restaurants on both sides of the highway. No homes in site. As you reach the top of the hill a skateboard park appears (which shows the town is in touch with their youth), a large fitness centre with waterslide, pool, etc and then lots of paved walking paths. Ah, very nice indeed. The town seems to have 3 main areas. Most of the homes seem to be in two and I guess you either live at the top of the hill or in the downtown (at the bottom of the hill).

I checked into my  hotel on the far end of town and spent my evening relaxing with some tv--no internet--and was in bed early. Wednesday I awoke EARLY and by 7am had checked out and was on my way to explore the town. I happened upon what I thought was a rather tacky lawn ornament and turned out to be a live deer....not so tacky after all. The deer are everywhere. The gardeners must hate them, but I was enjoying watching them wander the nieghbourhoods. I had a long leisurely breakfast at one of the local spots and enjoyed the atmosphere while reading over my notes and jotting down my questions. I quite enjoyed my time before the interview and even made a trip to the local museum/interpretive centre.

The interview started at 11am and I drove away at 2:30pm. Yep, it was a long day. I had debated the day before staying in town until 6:30 to attend the WW meeting, but when I got into my truck all I wanted to do was get back to Edmonton--I was tired.

I took three or four pictures of deer and that was it. For some reason I have been feeling a bit superstitious about this interview. You know how sometimes the more you want something the more you have to lose? That's kinda how I felt going into this. Sometimes when you really want something you don't get it--happens to me all the time. So I didn't take pictures to share so the possibility of doing it later when I do move is still there...odd I know.

As of this afternoon I have had three interviews for three different jobs. I have a couple more that I want to apply for--maybe tomorrow while I am pretending to work for the last hour or two of my day--cause it has all basically been sorted and put away now.   :)

I am hopeful and confident that I will have a new job by the end of the year. (I just re-read what I wrote...obviously I meant month...hopefully that wasn't some sort of forshadowing on my part). I am so looking forward to Saturday morning. I get to wake up in a new life--and do laundry. LOL. Monday morning will be a tad odd...but I am looking forward to it none the less. I hope to enjoy the time off and am looking forward to my trip to Vancouver the weekend of the 14-16th for my Global Village training. It should be a ton of fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

You are a warrior when it comes to driving from place to place. But I think it was a good move to drive there the night before and then get up the next day and relax before the interview. The drive home would be tiring as you would have put everything into the interview and then be exhausted.

If you really want this one - I hope you get it.

Edith