Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I'll finish the Vancouver trip...later in the week.

Today we talk about my new apartment. I drove around a lot on the weekend and pounded the pavement looking for my new home. I narrowed it down to two parts of the city, Oliver or Whyte Ave. I have viewed apartments in both areas and managed to get to view a couple. I found the perfect one today and it seemed like a match made in heaven. He liked me, I liked him. I sign the papers tomorrow. I arrived back to my 'old' apartment this afternoon and managed to line up a moving truck, get my lights moved over on the right day and my cable/phone/internet. I'm super excited but I always have moments of 'what if he changes his mind?' 'what if one of my references doesn't work out?' and I will feel that way until I have the key in my hand tomorrow night.

I have been in touch with my 'old' landlord to let him know when I would be leaving the unit, etc. He mentioned in his email he was concerned with the state of my apartment. He had people in to view it when I was in Vancouver. I told him not to...but he has the right to do it as per Alberta law. I told him not to because I left the apartment in a state of chaos. I had boxes and stacks of 'stuff' everywhere. Dishes all over the counter, the sink was dirty (not full of dirty dishes--just dirty), and the floor hadn't been swept in a while. And luckily I had spilt a tea strainers worth of tea leaves the morning I left--so little dried brown bits were all over the floor in the living room. When he emailed and said he wanted to view it I knew he wouldn't be impressed....but I wasn't expecting company when I left--I was in the middle of a move. I was in a state of chaos. Ah well...good thing I am leaving. His email response to the mess has made me feel like a big ol' dirt bag....I didn't bother to respond back other than to say it is clean and he can show it anytime now.

The new apartment is smaller than my present one--but much more lovely. It has hardwood floors in the living room and bedroom and slate tiles in the bathroom and kitchen. A tiny balcony off the kitchen and a full size fridge. The best thing is the laundry in the apartment...my very own front loading washer and dryer. YEAH! It is a sage green colour on the walls...but I will need to see that again before I confirm it. The whole place has a cozy--single girl in the city look about it. I have windows on all 4 sides of the building and lots of light. Even a small backyard that any of the tenants are allowed to use.

Of course I am already decorating it in my head...lol. Can't wait to get there...that will erase the harsh words of my landlord. Who is he to criticize--how clean would your home be a week before you move and when you are not expecting company. Sheesh. As you can tell he really got under my skin with his email.

Onwards.

No news on the job front, but I'm sure that will come. I have faith in the world.

My new apartment is according to google maps an 11 minute walk to the weekly farmers market in Strathcona which means it is a 12 minute walk to the beadstore I really like. Oh, and I just remembered the awesome cupcake store not far away...that could be a problem. LOL. There are lots of trendy restaurants around the area and the street I live on is tree lined with lots of grass and flowers. And is a quick walk to the ravine....so that sounds like a photo op waiting to happen. I have met the neighbour next door and the lady who lives in the basement apartment. It seems like a lovely place and everyone is very friendly.

The movers arrive on Thursday and I have called the furniture company and pending any major problem I will have a new bed by Thursday night. The tricky part on Thursday will be coordinating the movers and the furniture delivery. No doubt they will both want me at the same time.

I am camping out in my bedroom at the old apartment at the moment. Did I mention I sold my bed and couch...getting new--starting over. Yes, I think this is my mid-life crisis. So I have been sleeping on the floor the past few nights. Well, not the floor. I have the following:

yoga mat
camping air mattress
sleeping bag
mattress cover
duvet
sleeping bag
me

Lots of layers between the carpet and my skin.

So in the bedroom is my lawn chair, tv, 'bed' and dressers. I am quite happy and it kind of reminds me of my bachelor apartment in Iqaluit.

There will of course be pictures--when I find the cord that will allow me to download from the camera....its in a box....somewhere...

Send happy thoughts on me getting the keys for the new apartment. And of course getting more calls for interviews.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Leave it to that landlord to catch you home at its worst. I just have to wonder why he would show it to people when you told him not to. People who view an apartment are not likely going to rent it if they didn't like what they saw. Most likely that is why the "email" from him as he lost out on a possible sale to tenants. As long as his name is not on your list of references to the new apartment manager you should be fine.

Sounds like you will be very happy with the new "home" and the move is fast. But with you not working now it is a great time to move and get set up. Would be quite a juggling act to start a new job and say I need the afternoon off for the bed to be deliverd and my furniture to move in. This way you will be settled in your home when you start a new job. Yes, positive thoughts go you way that there will be an exciting new job made in heaven for you.

Edith

erika said...

Jerky landlord - good thing you are leaving. Moving is so much fun - it is a fresh start and good way to sort out all of your stuff. And your new place sounds amazing! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Hopefully by now you have keys to a new home! Sounds like a nice residential area, tree lined and all. Sage green would be a great color, green being one of my favourites, and sage green being right in style now. A washer and dryer will be a real luxury for sure, no more dragging dirties out! Your old landlord wasn't very thoughtful taking people in when you had let him know that you were away and not ready for showings, not very courteous! Hope your new bed is comfy, I guess anything would be after sleeping on the floor!! And I hope you get to sleep in it soon, the floor might be OK for a few days but will be bad for the back.

Looking forward to an update on the move and job hunting prospects. Good thoughts being sent to you!!

Cheers (have a glass of wine while you are unpacking!!) ... Lori B.