Saturday, March 20, 2010

My ode to spring has been cleaning all day. I have organized, re-arranged and generally tipped my bedroom and closets upside down and inside out...and I'm not quite finished but I was hungry and decided I better stop for supper.
On a recent shopping trip I picked up some vacuum storage bags. They actually work. I can't believe it. I put my winter coats into one bag and while it is a bag that can be hung up I decided it was better off lying on the top shelf of the bedroom closet. It takes a chair to reach all the way up to the top shelf so the space is good only for long term storage. My duvet and extra blankets went into another one and I filled a third bag with an old sleeping bag that I have misplaced the stuff sack for. Basically I ran out of things to put in the bags and still have bags left. I wandered around the house looking for things I could vacuum seal.

Last fall I purchased a cheap over the door shoe holder. I actually don't use it for shoes. I use it for my hats, mitts, scarves and other winter accessories. In the winter months it sits on the outside of the hall closet door and during the spring, summer and fall it sits on the inside of the door--nicely tucked out of the way. It is ideal for organizing the multitude of winter accessories I have. I highly recommend you purchase one.
My attempt at under the bed storage has once again failed. My bed frame is not tall enough to allow anything over about 4 inches to be shoved underneath. I have under the bed totes that I can't put under the bed. On the same shopping spree as the vacuum bags I purchased bed lifts. Guaranteed to give you up to 5 inches of height. I also bought a bed skirt to avoid the unsightly look of the totes and boxes under the bed. They didn't work. As I wandered around the store I noticed that the 'beds' on display have the same frame as my bed--but they don't use the bed lifts they sell. They have a smaller cone version. I need the cones. I asked the lady and the counter and she assured me they would be fine. I had my doubts. This afternoon I took the mattress and box spring off, moved the bed into a new position removed the wheels from each foot and placed the lifts under each foot. It didn't work. The minute I plopped the box spring down they tipped and fell off. I packed them and the bed skirt up and figured at least I would get my money back. Then...as writing this note to you fine folks I had a thought. Why did I take the wheels off? Could I leave them on? Turns out I can. The wheels fit perfectly into the space and the whole thing seems quite stable. Unfortunately the bed skirt is about 5 inches too short....oops. But at least I will be able to use the space in the mean time which means the re-arranging is not done yet. So my attempt at under the bed storage has finally succeeded.

During my time on the Island I purchased some clothes and brought back a few heirloom items, including a quilt my mother’s mother made. (It is now on the bed!) The two backpacks I had arrived with would not fit all my new possessions. My sister provided me with a suitcase to take back. A suitcase that I in actually purchased over 10 years ago for myself. It was a set at one point. It is a flimsy piece of fabric that has no wheels, no support inside and I was surprised it was still in the family. It is sitting by my front door full of clothes that no longer fit me waiting to go to Value Village along with a box of assorted things. I love the high from purging!
My freezer is once again full. I spent yesterday cooking butter chicken and vegetable soup. I have enough lunches and suppers to last me for a few weeks. The only problem with having a freezer full of food is that I like to cook—but I can only cook and freeze so much. Perhaps I should consider chef as my next job. (Kidding—I couldn’t handle the pressure, or be able to time my cooking so that anything was done on time.) Or I need to make more friends and have them over for supper.

I am about to watch one of my favourite movies “You’ve got mail”, sip a glass of wine and start my first knitting project--a pot holder.

NOTE: Indigo--thanks for your suggestion but I don't think that is it. Here is another photo--it really seems like multiple shoots coming out from under the ground. About 20 inches high.Or it might be...what do I know. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

You sound like you came back from PEI energized and pumped. Great work on the "spring cleanup". You certainly know how to organize and you have some great tips for the rest of us.

You are such a domestic - cooking, knitting, organizing. Don't you just love, sometimes, getting to stay home and playing house instead of working?

You might get the rest of us energized to Spring clean too.

Edith

Unknown said...

Thanks for the extra picture, lovely shot of an amazing plant. I have sent it off to a horticulture friend in Victoria in the hopes she can identify it. Whatever it is, I sure like it a lot.