Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I rarely have my camera on hand during takeoff and landing because there are limited opportunities and the camera becomes more of a hassle to handle. Tonight would have been the perfect night to have it with me. The sun was starting to set and the sky was filled with orange and red...and you could see the Island. The WHOLE Island. We flew out of the Charlottetown harbour and headed west flying parallel to the south shore. It was as if we followed the Trans Canada highway all the way to Summerside before we took a left and headed over to New Brunswick. It was so nice. You could see the South and North shore and everything in between. It was the perfect last look at PEI.

My two weeks have flown by in a blur and I’m thankful for every moment I had. It was a pleasure to see many of you again if only for a brief period of time. The weather with the exception of the first couple of days was perfect spring weather and I certainly enjoyed watching the snow melt.
I’m on the plane back to Toronto as I write this and then hopefully following a brief stop on to Edmonton. I get in around 11pm but by the time my luggage arrives and I grab a cab I don’t expect to darken the door to my apartment until after midnight.

I’m watching Oprah. I love free tv on airplanes. It certainly makes the time go faster and you don’t need to strain your neck to watch the screen. My tv is a bit farther away than most as I am in a PRIME seat. 12F. On this particular aircraft that means I am at the emergency exit and there is no seat in front of me...so I am viewing my tv from two rows ahead instead of one. The extra leg room is well worth the $15 I paid to pre-select my seat. If you are going to be on a long flight I highly recommend it. Anything less than 3 hours and you can put up with almost any seat, but spending 6-8 hours on a plane can start to cramp anyone’s style. The other preferred seat for me is 2A. Window seat in the front row. You don’t have the convenience of a drop down table tray (actually, I don’t have that in my current seat either) but you do have a bit of extra leg room and the ease of getting off the plane first.

I have so many things I want to start/do when I get back to Edmonton I don’t know where to start. Groceries, laundry, re-arranging furniture, pick up truck, buy some craft products for future projects, apply for new job, check apartment listings and do some research on getting my kitten. Yep, I’m going to FINALLY be a pet owner.
Yep, I’m finally getting a pet. It has only been about...10 years that I’ve wanted a dog or cat and due to my schedule/living conditions/work travel have not been able to do so. Enough is enough...a kitten (or two) will be joining me in the new apartment sometime this spring. Once I get a new job. My current building doesn’t allow pets and if I am getting a new job I should wait until I know what part of town I will be working in before relocating. So the kitten will wait until all that happens. But with any luck before June.

Spread the news, one slightly used and abused HR person looking for an amazing opportunity to challenge my brain and expand my skills within the city of Edmonton. I’d look outside of Edmonton but I’m feeling too lazy and too tired to start fresh in a new city—unless an AMAZING opportunity presents itself. I mean if I am packing my belongings anyway there isn’t much difference between moving across town or across the province but a new city can take a lot of energy and I don’t think I have that in me at the moment.

Did I think about looking in PEI for a new job? Yep. The time just doesn’t seem to be right at the moment. I still want to climb the corporate ladder and expand my skills and experiences in HR and other areas. PEI is limited in those opportunities. In a few more years when I have found a rung that I am comfortable on and when the drive to move up has lessened I will head east. For the moment Edmonton is going to fill that bill and will provide me with a ton of opportunities to move up and over. Or into a completely new area—you never know.
In the next one or two days I should be able to post some pictures from my trip to Victoria and PEI. I guess if you are reading this I am officially back from vacation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: Lori and I were wondering the other day whether you had returned to Edmonton or not. If you told us how long you were staying on PEI we obviously forgot. We just thought you were stripped searched at an airport and left in the stripping room to fend for yourself.

What a beautiful view of PEI you had on your flight out. The pilot must have wanted to see things himself.

I liked the tips on the "good seats" to book on a flight. I'm writing that down!

Major decisions in the future for you. Rest assured, the right job offer will come to you. The saying goes "good things come to those who wait". In your case - good things darn well better come to one who has put up with enough s.... to date.

As a cat owner,I hope yours learns to sleep well at night and not demand to be let outside to prowl. Maybe a little constant purr beside you will fix that sleep issue you have been dealing with.

Happy job hunting and the place that hires you will never regret the decision.

Edith

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

So much excitement! Pet owner, new job thoughts! Wow!

Well I think I hear the Yukon calling your name....