Thursday, October 2, 2008









Tuesday afternoon I walked downtown got on the train and headed for the zoo. I’m still not sure how I got on and off the train without a ticket but I did. Oh well. Chalk one up for the newbie. The zoo was wonderful. I saw lions, tigers, and turtles and all kinds of other animals, birds and reptiles.

I then managed to get a fabulous haircut at a place called Diva Daves. After the haircut I went to Starbucks and ordered a white hot chocolate. Yes, it was 25 degrees, but there aren’t many beverages at SB’s that I enjoy. I walked home with it allowing it to cool. Finally seating in the comfort of my living room I took a sip. And almost spat it out. It was coffee. YUCK. I still don’t like coffee. And no matter how much stuff you put into it...flavor shots, etc it still tastes like coffee.

Not to take away from my excellent day I got in the truck and headed to Ikea. Ah, Ikea. The perfect time of day/week to go is a Tuesday evening. The store was practically empty and I was able to park within 7 rows of the entrance. I had taken the time to measure ALL of my prints earlier in the day and found frames for all of them. Finally, my prints will be hanging in style. I also found a few other things to buy and two trips through the cash later I was in the truck. And headed to the pet store.

Yep. I have new fish. I haven’t names them yet. That will come. They seem to have settled into the apartment nicely and are doing well. After purchasing the fish I headed into the future and bought my new tv. I sold my tv before moving from NU and have had a loaner since arrival. Truck full and bank account empty I headed back to my apartment to unload my purchases.

Wednesday was almost as productive. I spent my day cleaning the apartment, framing all my prints and deciding where to put them....that is the hardest part of all. I still have a few that don’t have a place yet...but I am hoping to lure a friend over on the weekend and force her to help me hang them. A trip to the park was in order as well. Who can resist the mid 20 temperatures we’ve had all week? Certainly not me. I packed blanket, pillow, book and set out. First stop. Crave. It is a cupcake store. I almost don’t want to recommend them. They are a bit addictive. At just over $3 for a cupcake one might feel the cost is too much for such a simple treat...but trust me. Well worth the money. I had a chocolate cupcake with a strawberry icing. Mmmm. Heavenly. I plunked myself in the park close to my apartment read, ate the cupcake, took a nap and enjoyed the sun. (I've only had two cupcakes since my arrival in Cowtown.)

Today saw yet another trip to Ikea. I had a few slip ups on the purchases from Tuesday and had to get some additional frames. I then headed to the Superstore. I love the Superstore...at least I love the one in Charlottetown. The one here is horrible. I can never find anything I want in this store. Tonight I wanted one of those pre-cooked meals from the deli section...nothing. Hmmm. Next on my list was potting soil. It isn’t in the store, it is outside of the store. I asked someone who works there where it was and then when I realized that I couldn’t easily get it set my basket down and walked away. While this may seem minor, at this store it is so inconveinent it isn't worth the hassle. This isn’t the first time I’ve had problems at this store. It seems everytime I go I have a bad experience. The last time I had the cashier commenting on my food among other things. I think I have decided not to ever go back.

Then I went to Canadian Tire where I explained to the lady at the customer service counter what I wanted. “It’s yellow. It helps you hang pictures. You hang your picture on it and then put it on the wall and it makes a dent where the hole should be. I saw it on tv.” She had no idea what I was talking about. Which didn’t surprise me cause neither did the folks at Walmart, RONA, Linens and Things or anywhere else I looked for this thing. But she called someone else and he knew what it was and even went to get it for me. YEAH. So now I have everything I need to hang my gallery of prints.

Tomorrow is Friday. I’m going to head to the library downtown so I can work on my resume. My computer is lasting only about ten minutes at a time before it overheats and shuts down. Which is why it has taken my three days to write this entry. I even have a cooling pad for it which doesn’t seem to be doing any good. I’m also going to help a friend look for an apartment and then off to the Saddledome for another Flames game. Busy, busy, busy. Phew. I need a break from not working. LOL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I love the way you write your blog. I feel like I was there watching you do everything - looking over your shoulder. When we hadn't heard from you I figured it was because you were too busy sun tanning to report in.

Whew! You've been busy. The park pictures were great - a free ride on the bus is unexplainable - but acceptable. So pleased that you got frames for your prints and are now ready to hand them. You won't want to leave home anymore the place will be so settled and comfortable - well maybe for one of those deliclious sounding muffins!!!

Sounds liked you have relaxed and enjoyed yourself - which you did not have time to do between changing jobs from the North to the West. I'm absoutely positive something wonderful is going to turn up for you job wise. You go and have a "flaming" good time with the Flames!

Edith