Sunday, January 2, 2011

It's 2011. Yep, 2011. Twenty Eleven. Two Thousand and Eleven. MMXI

It's all the same to me.

I worked NYE and NYE day and I gotta say--couldn't see or feel the difference. Which I guess is why I don't get the big NYE parties and events where people make all kinds of promises and commitments to themselves. Why that day? Because it is the start of a new year? Sure, it's a new year on the calendar but that's it. It really isn't much different than flipping the calendar from February to March. If you want to quit something or start doing something don't wait for the new year--just do it. When the thought crosses your mind put the plan in action and just do it. Don't wait for Monday or the start of the next month or next year, just do it when you first think about.

And that is all I am going to say about that.
*****

Working on a sewing project. I am attempting to turn a kimono given to me a few years back into a blazer. It is going pretty well so far--which impresses me and makes me wonder what I am doing wrong. Crafts and sewing are not my thing. I like the thought of doing them but the actual execution is generally wanting. I took a picture of the kimono after I had made the first couple of cuts and when I finish the project (this coming weekend-she says optimistically) I will take a photo of the finished product and post them.

I have a few other projects in mind for the next couple of months but I won't put them in writing as I am not guaranteed they will get done. started.

Winter finally arrived on PEI a few days after Christmas. The snow looks great but the weather is so mild I just don't feel like it is winter. It seems wrong. Wrong. WRONG. I have a number of great winter coats, hats, mitts, scarves going to waste in the closet. Sigh.

The kittens and I took a two hour nap on the couch together this afternoon. It was glorious. I forced myself to get up and get going again knowing I wouldn't sleep later tonight but they do not seem to have that worry and are napping again a mere two hours after we woke up from the last nap. I guess they are not worried because they don't need to get up and go to work tomorrow.

The trip to India finally seems as though it is just around the corner and my excitment level is building along with my list of things to do. Travel clinic, clothes shopping, suitcase purchasing, visa required, book plane ticket, etc, etc.

I have this week off from the theatre. Not sure why. Likely they are not very busy the first week of back to school and everyone is starting to feel the post holiday financial crunch. I hope to take advantage of having a few free evenings and either head to a movie or two myself or work on my craft projects. Likely I will work again on the weekend so I will take advantage of the down time while I can. No, I don't want to give up the job yet. I'm enjoying it but the thought does cross my thoughts now and then.

3 comments:

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer,

Naps with the babies are so wonderful, aren't they?! I agree, it's only a flip of a calendar page. It's good that you have a few days off from the theatre. How are you going to manage the babies when you're gone to India? They will miss you so much..Happy 2011!..don't the years fly by as of late?!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: I have to agree with your thoughts on resolutions for the New Year. You said it so well I have nothing more to add. Buck will get up on the bed or the couch beside me for some attention and a short snooze but he does not stay for a long nap. Must like his own space too much.

I think you will enjoy having the week off from the movies and your evening time to yourself.

I'm sorry the weather is not cold enough for you. I'm quite happy with the temperatures where they are. No need to get any colder or to have anymore snow then we have as far as I am concerned. At a 50 minute drive to and from work in bad weather is too far to enjoy anything but the stress and strain of the drive and I don't enjoy that.

Good luck with the sewing project and the sleeping babies.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, yes 2011 - hard to believe another year went by, and I also agree that resolutions can be made any time of the year. It's a good excuse to get together with friends, which we did, dinner out was great at the Dundee, 5-6 course meal that was absolutely delicious! We don't normally go out but it was a last minute invite so we thought why not.

A sewing project you say .... good for you ... I was never one to sew, can do a hem and buttons, but that's it. Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished product. Is the kimono silk? I'd think that might be hard to work with.

Winter is here, there is snow, we don't need more, I'm with Edith on keeping it to a minimum. We have enough to make it look "pretty" now and that will suffice for months. I find today's cold is very damp, chilly to the bone weather!

India is calling you ... hard to believe that it's only a few months away now. Hopefully you have enough people for your team now and that everyone is hyped about the trip and the build.

Cheers to the new year ... Lori B.