Monday, January 24, 2011

I keep thinking about posting and then I realize I'm out of time and need to go to work. Then I come home hours later and collapse on the couch and finally crawl into bed. I'm tired. I think it is the January blahs. I am appreciative of the longer days and the slightly increased amount of sunshine that appears in the sky...but it is still January. Surprisingly to some I was enjoying today--a lot. The weather was FANTASTIC. I know, I know most of you were grumbling and complaining about the cold, the amount of oil you were burning through today, etc...but for me...it was heaven. I love the cold like today. I actually didn't even wear a 'winter' jacket. I wore a fall/winter jacket that I bought on Sunday. :) It kept me nice and toasty in the truck (and I had a back up jacket incase of breakdown) and on the walk from truck to building and back again. Many of my co-workers were grumbling and walking around complaining of the cold. I laughed. The only cold I found/felt today was inside. The heating system at work is set to bring in a small amount of outside air--good for circulation, but when the weather is below -15 and it is still bringing in cold air--it tends to get cold. I had planned ahead though and wore a nice warm sweater and drank lots of tea.

Ah, Northern weather.

The trip is coming along nicely. I seem to be stuck at the 10-11 people mark for the trip. I have some great volunteers and some repeat GV folks so I am VERY pleased with the mix of team members at the moment. I am struggling over the booking of my plane ticket--I spoke to one travel agent today and she said this is the busiest time of year for them--which doesn't entirely explain the curstomer service I am getting but oh well. If the lady I talked to today doesn't come up with something I guess I will end up booking myself. I wanted a travel agent to 'have my back' incase of travel issues while enroute or before my return to Canada.

Just talked to #11 on the team. He built with me in Iqaluit in 2009 and while we were there hit the 100 house mark for volunteer builds. Isn't that amazing! I am glad to have him on my team and look forward to working with him again.

The cats are still a source of amusement and aggrevation. I love them to pieces...but the toilet paper habit is hard to take. They managed to unroll yet another roll on me. After learning not to hang it I had been setting it beside the sink but now apparently that is not safe either and I may need to keep it in a drawer. My guests will find that amusing no doubt.

The theatre is still agreeing with me. It is a nice change and as much as I grumble before I head off to a shift I enjoy it once I am there...kinda like going to the gym. 

And that makes bed time....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

I was thinking about you yesterday, thinking you might be wearing your "northern" coat that you got before you left. Guess I was wrong!! I don't mind the cold as much as I mind the wind, it chills me to the bone. Today is cold, but not windy and I don't think it's quite as cold as yesterday. I do prefer it a bit warmer, but if it's not storming it isn't too bad.

Good to hear things are rolling along well with the upcoming trip. I'm sure it will be great to have some experienced builders with you as well as introducing some "newbies" to the process. It sounds like a good idea to have a travel agent, you certainly are an experienced traveller as I wouldn't think of going with agents to have my back covered - I don't get out much!! Hopefully the travel agent will be able to come up with something suitable for you that fits your schedule.

You will have to get a covered cake plate or something similar to "house" your toilet paper so the kitties don't make a toy out of the rolls! Bet it's cute to watch though - cheap entertainment!!

Glad the theatre job still OK, I know when I get home at night I have no desire to go out again, I struggle weekdays to go anywhere after getting home from work. Will you take a leave when you go to India so you can work there upon your return?

Chat later ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Ok, I guess I'm a whimp. I hate the cold. Just walking out the lane to get the newspaper this morning was freezing and I only did that so I could call Bucky, the cat, to come back into the house before I left for work. And the little rascal just showed up as I was starting to drive away. I bet he would have found -18 cold before too long and I would be phoning my brother to see if he could find the cat to let him in.

I like Lori's solution to having the toilet paper hidden from the kittens. They certainly like that game even if you don't.

I think of your system taking in cold air from outside as I sit in the office with my heater going!

Good luck with the recruitment of the final spots for the build.

Good luck in securing your air tickets for India. You definitely want to get that arranged. It is amazing how unfriendly people can be in a job where they need to be friendly.

Hang in there - January is almost over.

Edith

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds as if your trip plans are coming along nicely. I agree, you should get your plane ticket booked asap. That's so funny about the cats & the toilet paper. That's one of their 'pass time' games, much fun to them! You need to post some new pics so all of us can see them, & how much they've grown, I am sure.