Friday, January 21, 2011

20/20 That's what the man said.

A couple of years ago I got glasses--I kicked and squaked the whole time. I didn't want them. I had perfect vision why would I need glasses--but it wasn't perfect--or was it? I didn't need the glasses but what has happened is that I went from 15/20 to 20/20. Most people strive for 20/20 so it was/is still very good. Excellent. I don't need glasses to drive, to get up in the morning to read or do anything--but I do find I am depending on them more and more. My eyes get tired. This is the side effects of the astigmatism I have--in both eyes.

"Astigmatism is an optical defect in which vision is blurred due to the inability of the optics of the eye to focus a point object into a sharp focused image on the retina." Wikipedia

Some of the symptoms of an astigmatism is slightly blurred vision, inability to see fine details, headaches, closing eyes a lot, rubbing eyes...yep...that sounds like what I had before I got glasses. I still don't wear them all the time but I find I want them on more and more. Oh and the good news is that my eyes will be starting to change a lot in the next 5-7 years...the dreaded short arm menu issue--you know what I'm talking about. People holding the menu out farther and farther away from themselves so they can read it--this will soon be me.

Oh well...good to know they haven't changed since I got them a couple years ago...I don't need a new pair or a new prescription.
*****
Went to the Travel Clinic yesterday and have been immunized and vaccinated once again for my trip to India. Not as many shots this time--mostly boosters to previous vaccinations. Here's a question for you to think about---when was the last time you had a tetanus shot? Did you know you should have one every ten years?

My arm is sore today. Two injections into the upper right arm and I'm finding it stiff and a bit sore today.
*****
Busy trying to finish up all the details for the upcoming trip. I have two spots left--if you know anyone who might be interested in heading to India let me know. I would really like to fill the spots before the end of January...yikes.

Have a great weekend.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

My arm aches for you. You will likely be sore for a couple of more days. Let's hope you don't have to shovel the incoming snow tonight.

I hope you are able to fill your last two spots for the trip too.

They say once you start wearing glasses your eyes do become dependent on them and you'll need them more and more. Think about all the little children having to wear glasses at an early age - you did well to last as long as you did without having to get them.

Some of us depend on our eye glasses totally. Never have to worry where mine are because I set them down and forgot where I left them. They are always on my face.

Have a good weekend.

Edith

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer:

Sorry about the ouches, hope your arm gets better soon. Don't sweat it about the glasses, I have had them for years. Used to wear contacts, but they became too annoying, so went back to glasses. Hope you fill the vacancies soon. Have a good weekend!

PEI cycler said...

Hi Red Dirt, I had my booster tetanus shot in November 2010 and my arm was sore, red and swollen for a week. I don't remember any ot the other shots beiing a problem. All the best on the trip to India.