Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Good will towards all....

My first Christmas on the Island in 5 years--boy do I miss snow. It is snowing at the moment and there is actually a storm advisory on but I have been desperately missing the snow. Nothing says Christmas to me like snow. In fact I have found my spirit lacking a bit. The tree is up and it has been making me grumpier by the day. It is dead. Yes, I know, cut trees are dead...but it is bowing under the weight of ornaments that have no real weight and dropping needles when you merely look at it. The tree will be coming down soon--very soon. The cats have done a remarkably good job of not playing with the ornaments on it and I think next year it will not be an issue to put it up with all the ornaments on it.

On December 24 I headed out to battle the stores. I didn't need a present I was in search of a Christmas tree and I found one. It is one of the most realistic fake trees I have ever seen. I am tempted to put it up this year but will wait until next Christmas. The thought of undecorating twice this year is a bit too much. The smell of pine tree only seems to last for the one day so I think that aspect of real trees will not be missed and if I need a hit of pine I can head to a tree lot or into the woods.

A wonderful meal at my parents today--mmm, turkey. I am going to head out on Monday to purchase my own turkey. I want the leftovers. I fondly remember last years turkey and all the wonderful meals I made in the months following. There was more than one batch of terrific turkey soup and I think more soup is in order. The ability to just open the freezer door and grab a nice bowl of homemade soup is a good thing.

I didn't take many pictures today--4 in total. I know...how strange for me. My camera battery is on low and I can't find the charger. I actually spent a fair bit of time last night looking for a new on online. I can't believe I may need to get a new one. Sigh. It is very light and I fear it may have been tossed out--at the bottom of a bag and just not noticed. The one photo of the 4 I took that sorta turned out is of the kittens. I constructed a play house for them the other day.
Christmas 2010

Here once again are a few images from Christmas past...
2006
2007
2008
2009
2005

2 comments:

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer,

Merry Christmas to you! I love the cat playhouse, looks like they are having loads of fun! I haven't had a live tree in several years now, I think you'll like the 'near real' variety, plus, you can decorate it as early as you wish. I left @ 5:45 this am, was in Myrtle @ 8:20 am. It's snowing @ home right now, and here I hear there will be snow here in Myrtle tomorrow, 1-2 inches. I left early to avoid the snowstorm. Love the past Christmas photos! Have a wonderful holiday season!!!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: I hope the play house worked to distract the cats from the shelf of destruction that they were repeating. Sorry to hear that your tree is dying a fast death. You look so forward to having your live tree and then have it not last. I do have to say I sooo enjoy my artifical tree and putting it up when I want and taking it down when I want and never having to worry about watering it.

As for the snow, no snow does not bother me at all. Spent a couple of hours out with my snow scoop cleaning my driveway and man was that snow heavy with all that rain in it. When I had the job 2/3 done the tractor came along to blow out the driveway. Well I'm not sorry that he got to clean up the pile of snow the snow plow piled up at the end of the driveway. That looked heavey and mean.

Just having a lazy day to totally unwind. Hope you enjoy the same type of day.

Edith