Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Now...PEI.

Since I am no longer living in Calgary or Edmonton the blog title seems a bit off topic and I had debated changing to a new one but since I am lazy and can't be bothered...why throw away a perfectly good blog when I can just keep writing? So the blog will not be changing sites just topics.

Many of my readers are from PEI so the information about the Island will not thrill, amaze or entertain. Hmm, come to think of it my witty (in my mind I'm witty and an awesome writer) writing may not thrill, amaze or entertain any of you...anyway....now that I am on the Island I will attempt to educate people about PEI. As I wander around the Island and get in touch with my roots you can wander with me.

It is too early in my day as yet to get into anything interesting or factual--I never trust my ability to recall facts before 9am. For this morning you will  need to be satisfied that I am planning to continue blogging and that you will not need to bookmark a new site.

Oh, and happy days...I got my apartment! Yeah!! I decided to take the one I viewed on Saturday morning. After much thought and debate with myself it is the best possible location for me. It is super close to the Charlottetown by-pass--which means easy access to work and yet is is close enough to being 'in town' that my bike should get a good workout. It is in a nice building. The walls and floors are straight, there is no peeling paint, mildew stains or cracks in the plaster. The appeal of living in a rustic Victorian building is not there at the moment--I want straight walls--a box if you will that is a blank slate I can call my home.

I have plans to paint the bedroom and put up a new shower rod in the bathroom. :) Within a month it will be mine and not even resemble my neighbours.

Went to sign the papers yesterday--that was easy! I had forgotten that I was on PEI. I went in references in hand--personal and from previous land lords, copy of my letter of offer proving I a) have a job; b) make enough to pay rent. I was ready to write out my 12 post-dated cheques and hand over a months rent as a damage deposit. In the end I gave him my mom and dad's address, my damage deposit and a phone number for my office....and that was it. No references, no job information no hassle. It was super easy. Yes, I lived in one of their buildings before but that was 5 years ago and I don't think he looked up my file to 'check me out'. I'm very happy. What made me even happier is that as soon as they are finished the painting and cleaning of the unit I can get the keys--and not pay anything for the remainder of August. I was clear that I wanted something for September 1 and when he asked if I wanted in sooner I said no, can't afford August. 'Oh no we wouldn't expect any money for that. Just whenever the boys are done the work you can move in. Take your time, no rush on September 1.' OK!  In Edmonton everyone would pro-rate rent and if you moved in on the 25th of the month they wanted rent for those 5 or 6 days.

Job--check
Apartment--check
Part-time job--next on the list.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Okay, slow down. Do you need a part-time job yet? Shouldn't you see how the new job goes first and how exhausted you might be from it? Maybe you'll find you are working late or popping in on weekends to finish a task. You can't do that and work part-time else where. Don't forget to build in "Jennifer time" here.

I am so glad you have the apartment and that the siging was easy and that you can even move in before Sept. 1 without having to pay. I'm assuming chicken and Tramp gave their approval?

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Great that you got a new home so quickly! Being able to start moving in prior to Sept 1 is also a bonus, no big rush in the middle of a week. You must be pleased to get a good location as well, sounds like it will get you to town and to Crapaud with easy access to by-pass which is terrific.

Part time job - I'm with Edith on this one, might be a tad early! Can't imagine wanting one this early in the game, with new job, moving in shortly, etc. Also, you need to be able to enjoy the rest of the Island summer!! Toes in the ocean and sand, walks on the beach, around all the neat little shops, all those things you need to do too!! (I know ... I sound like a mom ... I am a mom!!)

Thoroughly enjoyed the blog on your trip home, it was a great read, even if you thought it wasn't too detailed, it was written very well. You aren't the only one who thinks you write well and are witty! I believe you could write a Jennifer Travels book and I'd be right there to purchase a copy (signed of course!).

Sounds like the new job is going to work out to your benefit with the other lady not returning after her mat leave. Good for you!!

Very glad to hear you are going to continue with the blog. I will likely learn things about the Island that I don't know when you start writing about it. You tend to see more than the average person and can write about things in a way that we can see them in a new light.

Take care ... Lori B.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Part time job? Don't you already have a job to keep you busy?

Sounds like some nice landlords you have there!

M Easter said...

welcome back!