Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's all starting to come together....

I pick up the keys for the apartment today and with any luck Eastlink will show up sometime tomorrow between 8am and 4pm to hook me up with phone, cable and the all important-internet. I really hate these all day appointments. Like I have nothing better to do than sit at home for a full day waiting for them to show up. At least she agreed they could call me from the appointment ahead of mine to give me an idea--they better remember that part.

I will be the only HR person in Ch'town today and by noon today the only HR person on the Island--for my company. It will be great to finally take over the reigns. No keys, no files, no access has truly been getting on my nerves. Note to all you HR folks and Managers out there---4 weeks is 2 weeks to long for a cross over. The outgoing person should have a manual of 'how to' before they go...its just good practice.

BUT...the most exciting news is that after several months of delay and then a number of emails back and forth I finally have some rough idea of when my next overseas build will be...April! I will be leading a group of Habitat volunteers to Chennai India. For those of you with a super good memory that is the area of my last overseas build in 2008.

The details are far from being worked out so I'm not sure if we will be close to the last build or not but nonetheless I am looking forward to returning to the area I was in before--comfort zone for me. Who would have thought that I would call India a comfort zone?

Once some of the details are worked out the details of the trip will be posted on the Habitat-Global Village website and people can start to apply to go on the trip with me. I'll explain more later...going to be late for work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Good to hear things are falling into place for you. Hope you don't have to spend the whole day waiting for Eastlink to arrive. On the work front, I'm sure it will feel great to be on your own now after too many extra weeks with previous HR person. I imagine you will be spending the weekend arranging & re-arranging furniture in the new apartment!

You must be thrilled to be heading back to India for Habitat, I recall your postings and how much you enjoyed it. My geography isn't great, but you indicate you aren't far from where you were previously, which you enjoyed immensely. It is funny that you call it a comfort zone! So far way!! April will be here before you know it.

I can't wait for 4 pm today - vacation starts for 2 weeks (yippee) and I am really, really looking forward to the break from work. We hope to get to Digby for the long weekend and drool over some of the bikes at the Wharf Rat Rally.

Take care ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I'm playing catch up on the blog. Been hosting some friends here on vacation so haven't been on line.

Terrific! You have the keys and with any luck you have the Eastlink power! It will be interesting how you decide to set up this apartment - could be totally different then the way you had things in Edmonton.

You are so commited to the Habitat build. It is good that there are people like you out there as I don't know how they would get these buildings built up without volunteers like you.

Interesting that only one of you was allowed keys to the building and that the outgoing had them and not the incoming. Humm. Oh well, you are in charge now.

Edith