Sunday, August 8, 2010

I'll finish the road trip before I tell you about life on PEI or I will never finish the road trip!

When we last spoke I had completed my experience at the amethyst mine and day 3.

Day 4--more of Ontario
It was to be a long day of driving and for the first time on the trip to PEI I wasn't sure where I would end up for the night. I knew I wanted to get as far as I comfortably could but not push so much that I wouldn't be able to handle a long day the next day or two after that.

The weather was still holding and as I pulled out of White River heading East I enjoyed an open road all to myself for the first couple of hours. Now, as much as I might dislike the drive through Ontario it is only because of the distance and lack of change. What you get to see lots of is trees, rocks and lakes. And in the area this morning--beaches.  Like the one above. After a few hours and staring longingly at the beaches I could glimpse through the trees I decided to stop. I pulled into a parking lot and went--crap. I thought it was a big parking lot with lots of space. What I got was a lot with 12 spaces and no where to turn around the uhaul. Hmmm. Ok, don't panic. All you need to do it go straight back and then pull out the driveway. Simple. I parked confident that I had it all in hand.

The sand felt so good under my toes, the water was cool and clear and very enjoyable. My little stop (no more than 15 minutes) left me rejuvenated and ready to get back on the road. I started to back up and quickly found out it wasn't going to be that easy. The trailer started to turn so I pulled ahead, straightened up and tried again....about 5 times. The last time I thought I had it when I felt a slight bump at the back. I looked in the mirror and wondered where the post had gone...apparently on a slightly downward angle. Oops. By this time I had just enough room to swing the front of the truck around and up the driveway and I gunned it. I looked back to see if I had damaged the post--nope, just pushed it over a bit--no harm done so I left the scene of the crime. Who I would have told anyway I don't know as there were no park people around and at the time I did it no one else in the parking lot. On my next gas stop I checked the truck for damage and could not even find a mark in the dirt where the post had been.

The rest of the day went smoothly and as darkness fell I decided it was time to find a hotel. I ended up in Petewawa. It is just west of Ottawa and put in excellent placement for arriving in Montreal the next day. When I pulled in off the highway I went 'I recognize this place.' I had supper at the restaurant on my way out to Alberta...funny how I continued to stop at the same places that I had two years earlier. I was exhausted by the time I arrived, checked in and made it to my room. I was so tired that I found myself on the elevator going up to the third, down to the basement and then back on the main floor (which was floor #2) where my room was. Yep...it was time to be off the road.

Day 5--Montreal!
With a good nights sleep under my belt I headed towards Ottawa and Montreal.
Under different circumstances I would have enjoyed stopping in Ottawa for a couple of days and just relaxing...but maybe some other trip. I quickly saw the end of Ontario and happily crossed the 'border' into Quebec. Finally Ontario was behind me.

I arrived in Montreal around noon which I think was the best time to be there given the traffic one can run into. I had no real traffic to speak off and while the ride through Montreal is never pleasant or quick it was as good as could be expected. Shortly after leaving Montreal behind me I stopped for a break. I grabbed my book an ice cold diet pepsi and read a few chapters in my book. I was making good time and was happy to have Montreal behind me.

Back on the road and heading for New Brunswick. I was very much hoping to get into NB that night and after what was a long drive I made it. I checked into a hotel in Edmunston around 10:30pm and promptly fell asleep.

Day 6--PEI
I guess it was a bit of nerves and a bit of excitement but I certainly did not sleep in nor did I get on the road early. Hmmm. I had lost two hours from the previous evening. One in the time change and one in trying to find a hotel. That seemed to throw me on Wednesday morning as I was getting ready to leave but leave I did.

PEI was but a few hours before me and while I was hoping to make a couple of stops at a couple of favorite shops along the way I didn't. I crossed the bridge around 3pm and was in my parents driveway by 3:30pm. Safe and sound back on the Island.





6 days
4671 km
countless stops for gas and to pee
Would I do it again--you bet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

You say your heart was not in the last post of the trip. I saw lots of heart and I enjoyed the read. The draw of a beach through your senses regarding adequate parking right out of your head and you followed your heart. I don't imagine the post will have any regrets of your love tap.

Montreal at 7 am on a Sunday morning is about the best time I can ever remember in passing through. Driving there at noon with a truck and a u-haul would be more than I think I could be comfortable with. You ROCK girl to do that!

I, too, have hit Edmunston as it got dark, and I grew weary and the traffic headlights were really getting to me. A bed in a motel at that point is so rewarding. It is a hard drive when you leave the divided highway behind and start to deal with 2 way traffic again for that last stretch out of Quebec. You did well.

Edith