Sunday, August 8, 2010

Just below this post is the end of the cross Canada road trip. You may notice that it isn't a very big entry...I think as the trip wore on my enthusiasm for writing disappeared a bit and even now as I write about the trip the second half seems like it happened a thousand years ago. Each day seemed like the last.

But...on to new stuff.

I survived my first week of work. I found out on the first day that the lady I am replacing--the position was to have been a one year mat leave--is not returning. So there is now definitely the possibility of having the position for an indefinite period of time. I admit that information threw me for a bit of a tail-spin on Tuesday when she told me. I was not expecting that at all.

Considering I had 3 months off the first week back was not as exhausting as I would have thought--physically. Mentally it was a bit of a challenge but only the first couple of days and then I was a small bit bored. It is always difficult the first couple of days to take on another persons role. If people really liked that person they are looking at you that you took the role away from them if they didn't like them you are often seen as a miracle worker. At the moment I am neither. There will be 4 weeks of overlap. Either they don't think I'm very bright and need 4 weeks to catch on or there is a lot more to this job than I am aware of. 4 weeks is a long time and I am very surprised that the company wanted to spend that much money on it...but that's ok. I'm working and adjusting to my new gig.

Everyone seems great and the whole thing seems like a good fit. I'm not going to say too much about the ins and outs on here.


I made a few inquiries on Friday for apartments and went to view one on Saturday. My plan was to call another place on Monday and see how it went from there. I had decided before I even made it to Charlottetown that morning I wouldn't take it based on location. BUT...after getting there and seeing it I think I have changed my mind. It is interestingly enough the same landlord I had in Ch'town before and the apartment while in a different building is the same one I had before. Same layout, same part of the building, etc. Kinda funny. I had my sister, niece and nephew along for the viewing and the kids both gave it a thumbs up. After viewing it--its a standard 2 bedroom apartment and driving by several times after leaving my sister's house I think my final decision was made--but not fully voiced as of yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

The first week on a new job has to be the worst. Glad you have that behind you and it is onward and upward from here on.

Glorious news that the job can be yours permanently. So worth the effort of that long drive.

So a new job started and it looks like a new home chosen. You are making huge strides in a short time.

Well done Jennifer.

Edith