Monday, December 28, 2009

When will this year be over? Yeah, ok, I know, December 31...a few days from now. Sigh. 2009 has been full of challenges and I can't wait to see the back end of it. One of the ladies at work told me that in her household they take the tree down before the New Year. The idea is not to bring any of the bad vibes and 'old issues' from the past into a fresh new year. I like the thought of that...so the tree will be coming down before the New Year starts. Why take chances?

I had a wonderful Christmas day and so did my family. I am enjoying the videos my sister took (post more) and can't wait to see the rest of the photos. Here's an interesting fact...my parent's have had a digital camera for about a year now and I have yet to see a photo that they have taken and if I was to ask the question of if they took any photos on Xmas day the answer will likely be no. Hey guys 'use it or lose it'. Moving on....

I have been mulling over a number of thoughts lately. My brain hurts sometimes from the mulling. Seasons and people come and go in our lives. Destinations are not always known. What is your definition of happy? Where will we all be this time next year and who will be in our lives?

Where will we all be this time next year and who will be in our lives? And that my friends is the biggest question at the moment. But one I am not going to try and answer until after my trip to Italy. Oh, and funds are getting tight on the once in a lifetime trip so if anyone out there has won the lottery recently and would like to donate some cash I'm happy to accept it. ;)

I made a list of 10 things I wanted to do over the holidays. The list was originally meant for the 4 day weekend but I have decided to extend it into the next long weekend as well. It isn't big or important so no worries but a few things I'd like to get done. One of the items is sew on buttons. The pile of buttons and things that need buttons isn't towering over me but it is starting to inhibit my wardrobe selections. A couple of items I managed to cross off the list--hang new shower curtain, finish pink necklace. Yep, its a tough list.

The necklace is actually a project that I originally started in mid-August. I haven't worked on it the past few months so it didn't actually take me 4.5 months to finish. The necklace is what actually prompted a trip to Ikea and the purchase of the desk/table for crafting. Which lead to the re-arranging of the living room the hurting of my back and the list goes on. But with a 4 day weekend ahead of me and a feeling of relaxation I decided to tackle the necklace again and I'm glad I did. I am very happy with the results. Now to start the next one. LOL. The next one has a much simpler design and now that I know a little bit more about what I am doing it should go much faster. Oh, and I purchased a proper crimping tool over the weekend which makes one portion of the projects much easier and faster. Isn't it amazing what the proper tools can do?

Here's a few photos from this weekends work...and the finished product.


Seed beads are very messy. They come on strings but when removed from the string have a tendency to roam all over the house.


I need a lamp. This is my bedside lamp and doesn't produce enough light to see the tiny holes in the beads unless I am holding everything right under the shade. I have looked at Ikea but they are all energy saving lamps and don't seem to have enough sparkle to see. Maybe I should look at the craft stores...hmmm...good idea.
Detail of necklace.



The finished product. The large piece of rose quartz in the centre was not wrapped by me. The lady at the craft store made the cage. That was one part of the necklace I knew needed to be done correctly or I would regret it later on...when the rock fell out and broke. It isn't quite what I had envisioned and I can add more to it if I want...but I'm happy with the results when I wear it. I might just wear it to the office tomorrow and see if I get any comments on it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seasons greetings to you Jennifer and glad to hear you had a good Christmas! Love the pics! The one with the pine cones should be sent to hallmark or someone, it would be a beautiful xmas card. I hope it wasn't as cold out for your walk as I'm thinking it would have been, the weather out there has been soooo cold!! We had a busy Christmas as usual, but I wouldn't want it any other way. We start at our own home, had to try to be done opening gifts by 10:30 - 11:00 as Keaton's dad was picking him up then to go to his other nanny's for a few hours. When he came back we went to my mom's for another round of gift opening with all my siblings, spouses, nieces and nephews (only 1 was absent - he's in Banff and couldn't get home at that time). Around 7:30 or so we head in to my sister in laws to spend time with Joe's siblings, spouses, nieces and nephews. We arrived home around 11 or so and were done in!! On Boxing Day we have Joe's crew in for a late brunch and my mom as well. It's not quite as hectic and we eat and then get to sit and veg the rest of the day. I'd be lost if I had to stay home on Christmas Day!

I always take my tree down before the New Year, want to start the year fresh and with at least one room totally clean!!

Love the necklace, it is a very pretty pink, very feminine! I certainly hope your co-workers took notice of your talent! Maybe you will get into a side line, or start selling them at your sister's store here.

Your questions are interesting and I have no answers, one day at time is all I can do!! And enjoy each and every one as we never know when or where thing will change, or how they will change!

Happy New Year to you ... Lori B.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

The necklace is beautiful!! And if I win the lottery any time soon, I will make sure to send you some traveling funds! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the necklace....and am impressed at your crafty-ness. You are handy AND crafty!

Jan from the Island

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

The necklace is beautiful. The color is lovely, the design is unique, and the total package a think of beauty.

I saw your sister and her husband on Compass one evening. There was a blurb on their business. I hope it helps them with increased sales but it sounded like they are doing very well.

I don't know about the tree and the bad vibes. I have an artificial tree and i have been leaving it up until 3 Kings - Jan. 6. I just enjoy sitting with it on so much.

I guess I am a bit like Lori. I don't think too much ahead on the questions that you are pondering. Day by day, week by week seems to fly by fast enough so I don't think much further ahead than that.

I don't have a digital camera and if I had one might not know much about using it so I'm sure your parents will get comfortable with it in time. I'm still using my 35 mm "real film" camera.

Edith