Sunday, December 6, 2009

"What happens in Edmonton, stays in Edmonton." A direct quote from Stuart McLean tonight at the Vinyl Cafe Christmas show.

For those of you who don't know who I am talking about...check out CBC. I admit to being an addict of CBC radio since the tender age of 14 and this is one of my favorite shows. Stuart does this show where he tells stories about this family (Morley, Dave, Stefanie and Sam) and then intersperses them with various artists. Tonight they were both from the Maritime's...and they were great! The show was terrific. I've never seen it in person before and it is always interesting to see the voice. The show started at 7:30pm and at 10:15pm I was back in my truck. At 10:30pm I was still sitting in my truck waiting for the line of cars behind me to disappear so I could go home--the joy of parking garages in the city.

If you ever get a chance to see or even hear the Vinyl Cafe I highly recommend it. I laughed so hard my sides will likely hurt in the morning. For the length of the show (almost 2.5 hours) it was well worth the money.

-----

The weather on Friday did not stop me from venturing out and did not S and I from enjoying the day. I made a couple of small purchases and ended my day with a stop at Ikea. I bought my Christmas tree. It is sitting out on the deck waiting for next weekend--at least I think it is still out there. There is a large white lump where I left it.

But fear not, I did some Christmas decorating...in my office. Yes, the 12 hours of Christmas start this week at work. Monday is the beginning of the office/door decorating contest. I spent a good portion of my Saturday evening (while watching the Christmas Shoes--saddest movie ever--LOVE IT) making snow flakes. I bought this kit of Styrofoam snowflakes at Walmart. There are 8 dots on each one, 8 diamonds and one snowflake shape in the centre of the bigger snowflake. It made 35. Well worth the effort and because I had 3 colours in the pack no two are alike. They are now hanging by string and a bit of tape from the ceilinng in my office.

A different type of foam snowflakes are adorning the sides of the desk and bookcase. My 'away tree' is in the window, decorated with Christmas ornaments that I have picked up on my travels. The final touch is a tiny tree purchased at the $1.29 store years ago with a set of working rice lights and some mini ornaments. It is a true winter wonderland...and hopefully I am in the running for the prize...whatever that is.

It is almost midnight and unfortunately I am WIDE awake. I didn't get home until 11pm from the show and tragically the combination of the high from the show, the -17 temps I ventured out into for the show and the list of things to do running through my head are keeping me awake. I'm watching Martha Stewart on tv. It isn't her show, its a bunch of Christmas craft projects from old shows all strung together. I must admit she is still my home maker guru and given the chance I'd love to buy her magazine and try to be like Martha....she always seems to organized. Yeah, some of it is a bit much, but still. I saw them make a house tonight out of sugar cubes instead of gingerbread and frankly, it made me want to try it.

It is going to be a busy week at work...but I'm confident it will be a good one.

1 comment:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I get his free podcasts each week! I love those stories!