Saturday, April 4, 2009

I met my love by the gas works wall
Dreamed a dream by the old canal
I Kissed my girl by the factory wall
Dirty old town
Dirty old town

The words dirty old town popped into my head this morning while walking back from the store. It is the time of year when the pavement is dirty, the grass is dirty, all the cars and trucks have a layer of dust over them and everyone is waiting for a really good rain to pound off the layers of grime that accumulated over the winter. It's a dirty dull time of year.

It is Spring, but it isn't Spring. Spring is all colour and freshness. The world I see in front of me is dull and lifeless...and soon to change.

My mood is fine. I'm just describing the physical surroundings in which I find myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

We on PEI can relate to dirty old town, ours is pretty yucky and red here. It is an ugly time of year, the only good thing is that it means spring is (hopefully) around the corner.

I hope this week will be better at work for you. I can't imagine it worse than last.

Hope you get that bike out soon!

Lori B

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I recognized those lyrics as a Bruce Springsteen song I believe?? Correct me if I am wrong.

Add mud roads to that sight you described and you could be on PEI for sure.

But our snow disappeared over the weekend! Two nights of fog and one of heavy rain showers and you could see bare ground everywhere. What a welcome sight it was. Most incredible of all is the fact that green grass is starting to come up immediately.

Like Lori, I wish you a muct better week this week as well. It will be a short work week with Friday being Good Friday so that will be nice for you as well. We Catholics will spend most of our weekend in church but that is ok.

Edith