Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Greetings from Cambridge Bay!

So.....Monday left Edmonton and arrived in Yellowknife with no issues. They were having a bit of weather in YK but we got in with no problems and waited for our flight to Cambridge Bay. There were 7 of us traveling together and I had warned most of them about flying with me ahead of time but they got on the plane with me anyway.

Our flight took off late, but we were happy to be in the air and hopeful for a smooth trip. The plane stopped in Kugluktuk we got out to stretch and wait for the 2pm weather report so the pilots could determine if they were going to be able to land in Cam Bay. We weren't. Back onto the plane and back to Yellowknife. Sigh.

I was actually happy in one sense as I had hoped to catch up with a friend--and I did. But since this meeting is/was critical getting in was very important. In true Northern style we all checked in at the hotel and headed for the bar! One drink later I had to go to an impromptu meeting downtown. The meeting went until after 8pm and I was tired and a bit cranky by the time we got back to the hotel for supper with the rest of the group (who got to stay back at the bar and drink). I did get to see my friend over breakfast the next morning and then showed a co-worker a tiny bit of YK. It was her first trip North.

Day Two. Left Yellowknife and arrived safe and sound in Cam Bay that evening. We again checked in and headed...to the bunk house for supper then off to a couple hours of meetings followed by a bottle of wine and late night conversation. We are staying in this 'house'. It is a hotel house. There are five individual bedrooms and a shared kitchen/living room. It is really nice and we all have tv's in our rooms and free wireless internet.

The funny thing was that yes, I did jinx our arrival the first day and interestingly enough the same two people I came North with in November were on this trip and they once again did not get their luggage. It's funny and it isn't.

I actually don't think the delay on Monday is my fault. I had an email that afternoon from my friend in YK saying she hoped that my next trip to Cam Bay that I got Weathered out and got to visit...so her email is the reason for the delay.

The meetings are going fairly well, but I was very sore today. I haven't been sore from my procedure for a while now, but I think that sitting in a confined space on a plane for two days combined with a lot of HEAVY luggage lifting did me in. A lot of Advil later I'm feeling better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, glad to hear you arrived safe and sound - a day late - but what the heck!! I hope your meetings go as planned and that whatever you are working on is successful.

Sorry to hear about being sore! Takes longer than most of us expect to recover even from what is called "minor". Try and suck up and get one of your co-workers to do the heavy lifting as you definitely should not be doing that for a few weeks yet by the sounds of it. Your luggageless co-workers will start to wonder about travelling with you in the future! But ... you did warn them! Sounds like the house hotel is like a bed and breakfast, or more fun a dorm. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Take care ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Looks like my yesterday post didn't post. Glad to hear you did eventually arrive in Cambridge Bay. I hope the "departure" will go as scheduled with no delays.

This was not going to be the most pleasant trip so I hope at the end of the day - all went well and that your proposals were well received.

We look forward to pictures from the trip.

Edith