Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It’s official. My photographer status has gone from amateur to professional. I sold two of my photos this week. It was very exciting to get the phone call. I had almost forgotten about sending the cd.

A design company in Iqaluit purchased the photos to create display stands for a couple of the hamlets in Nunavut. Don’t go looking for them where you live…they will likely never make an appearance, but I will get to see them in February at the trade show I’m attending in Cambridge Bay. The cash for the pics is a nice bonus, but then again so is the photo credit. I'll share the image with you...but I need to wait until February when it is officially unveiled.

Work is chugging along. Not very quickly this week as my concentration is non-existent, but I at least manage to show up and do a few small non thinking tasks each day.

The person that I had been sharing an office with up and moved this morning. When I came in she had already moved everything out. There has been tension between us since the beginning…but this is a bit beyond. The tension goes back to her thinking that they hired me to take over her job and fire her…which they didn’t. And the reason we ended up sharing space is the link between our jobs (personnel and payroll). She doesn’t like my personality…I’m too much a bull in a China shop and act like I know everything and can make miracles. (Which I can! ;)) And as some of you know I am sooo hard to get along with. At first I thought things would be fine once I was settled in and everyone realized that I wasn’t firing the whole office. But no such luck. Yesterday she wore headphones all day. It really bugs me. Not that I need to be everyones friend, but I’ve never had such a definite dislike directed towards me—at least not since high school.

The almost daily snide comments from some of the staff about my lunches is also driving me nuts. I really did almost lose it the other day. I had some of my fabulous, incredible turkey soup. I heated it up in the microwave. By coincidence someone else had turkey soup that day too. “How long did you heat yours up for?” I reply 3 minutes 51 seconds. The next comment from someone else (who, btw, wasn’t in line to use the microwave) was “That’s an awfully long time. Do you really need to heat it up for that long?” I said apparently I do….and then it still wasn’t hot enough. This on top of the comments about the smells of my lunches is driving me nuts. Yes, my lunches which often consist of Indian and Thai food don’t smell the same as your SALAD…but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t taste better. Don’t stick your nose up at my choice of food…it is very insulting. Who has the right to regulate ‘smell’ in the office?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the "sale" of your pictures. That must of been quite a feeling to have someone enjoy them so much they wanted to purchase them!! I'm very impressed but not surprised - the picutres you have posted on the blog since inception have been amazing. Kudos to you.

I can't imagine how it must feel to have shared an office with someone that obviously has no personality - I think it would be a blast to share office space, or any space, with you - never a dull moment. As for the smells - to me that is how we sometimes learn about new to us foods. I hope there are only a few of your co-workers like that. Some peoples kids!! I think I'd be making a new grocery list if you were making your own Indian and Thai lunches, can't go too wrong with currie (as long as it isn't too too hot). A little currie powder is great in a lot of dishes, adds a nice tang!

Looking forward to seeing the pics that went to Iqaluit - I guess we can't have hints - but were they on the blog when you were up there?

Take care and keeping eating turkey soup and spicey food!!

Lori B.

Just me said...

Lori, your comment about "some peoples kids" made me laugh...I was talking to my mom about the person in question...she is mid-50's!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: You know that I am one of your biggest supporters when it comes to your photography and have been saying for a long time that you should sell some. Now you know that I am absoutely thrilled that you sold some pictures but I'm not surprised at all. I am totally pleased that your talents have been recognized and I can only imagine how it will feel to you when you stand there looking at that display knowing it is your picture that is there.

The co-worker - what can I say but that I am absoutely sorry that you have to experience this. Every now and again we all end up working with someone that we are not compatable with. It is never the best time in our career. But there are other times when we work side by side with some terrific people. Let's hope that this puts an end to the tension and you can have the office to yourself and do the good work that you do.

I can't believe the comments about your food. If they don't like it eat elsewhere. I've often gone into our kitchen and liked the smell of the person's lunch even though I'd never eat it when I found out what was in it. I'd never make rude comments about the smells.

I had hoped when you left the job in Calgary where the rude people were saying that you smelled that all this would be over and in the past. Unfortunately it seems like some of it has followed you. Are the commenters close friends with the office roomie? Is it there way of supporting her? What would they do if they were working with employees of other ethnic origin who would simply be eating their native food? Would that be wrong too? Your story has at least pointed out to us to be thankful for the people we share our work space and kitchen with. Too often we take things for granted and don't realize we are lucky. I hope things improve for you around the office soon.

Edith

Anonymous said...

We all have to deal with annoying people in the office over and over and over again, but don't let it get to you. Here's an idea..buy your own microwave and put it in your office..then they have nothing they can say!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer - I'm "early" 50's but I'm still someone's kid! There are times when my mom won't claim "ownership" of me, but I'm still hers! The lady you mention must not have much variety in her life - we all need a bit of spice sometimes.

Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I like Jack's advice. It may be giving in but it resolves the issue. Leaves the coffee room people to complain about someone else's lunch instead of yours.

Enjoy your weekend and update us.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Good lord, what is wrong with these people? Have they never had someone new join the group before? No wonder you are working weekends...hopefully you have the place to yourself?

Jan from the Island

Anonymous said...

Does not sound healthy for the long haul. What is it with toxic work environments anyway?. sheesh.

Maybe a pot luck lunch at work and you make some fabulous curry??? or not!!