Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm not sure where the days are going...but they certainly are flying by. We are now technically in fall. You can tell. The leaves are starting to turn colour and the air is crisp at night. It's a great time of year. But then again what isn't a good time of the year? In spring we enjoy the colours coming back and the new, fresh live budding from the ground. In summer we enjoy just being outside and the warm rays of the sun. Fall has a cascade of colours that appear and in winter the glimmer of ice and the outline of trees as the frost clings to them--well, can you find a season that doesn't have something to love about it?

I looked out the window a few minutes ago and the clouds were a cotton candy pink colour the sky a pale blue. How very beautiful. Sunrise is a great time of the day. I must admit...the morning when I sit in my apartment sipping tea, surfing the net, watching the news is my favorite time of the day. It's peacful and while the time is never long enough (during the week) it does seem to pass slower than many moments of my day. Ah.


I'm sure some of you here on the Island know Margaret Gallant. She does some great work and one of the things she talks about is her fashion consulting work. What an amazing woman. I had the opportunity to see her speak a couple of nights ago and was suitably impressed. She is funny and vivacious and really knows how to speak in public. The information on dressing for your body type was terrific. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open for her next presentation. If you get the opportunity to go and see her---do so.

It's Friday! My grandmother celebrated her 87th birthday yesterday and we are off to visit on Saturday cake in hand. There will also be some de-cluttering of the attic going on and it sounds like the fixing of a few things around the house. My Aunt F is over from NS--one of the fearless women who came to visit me in NU and I'm looking forward to the visit with her as well. Sunday should be a great day to relax and do some cooking for the week ahead.

Here's a few pictures from Nunavut September 2006


The vivid colours of the tundra.
 Fog rolling in over the land.
 Remember the new apartment I moved into...first night trying to cook a pizza only to find out (too late) that the manual for the stove was still in the oven. LOL. That was funny.
 The last few ships of the year coming in and dropping off the precious, necessary goods for living in the North.
 And of course the arrival of Oliver.

Good times. More good times to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Right on with the season description! Only 5 degrees driving to work this morning and then it dropped to 3 and back up again. Cool indead.

Happy Birthday to your grandmother! She has lived to be a great age.

I've seen Margaret's presentation as well. She could never be described as "shy"!

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

I have finally turned my computer on at home and thought I'd better check in, before you thought I may have checked out!! Hope you are feeling better, this is a nasty cold/flu on the go, I am starting to come round but still not quite 100% yet. I've had holidays, sick days, and spending so much time at work looking the the computer, I didn't want to turn it on at home!!

The seasons do all have some very positive aspects, we have a water view from home, and there isn't a day (or very few) that the view doesn't offer something great to see, whether it be snow, lightening, or just good old sunshine, and this time of year, some colors appearing on the trees. Even the bare branches are beautiful with a bit of frost or ice on them! Oh and of course, the water, tides, ice are always picture perfect too! Not hard to tell that I do like my view.

Sounds like you have really settled in back here on the Island. I hope you have your apartment the way you had hoped it would turn out.

Looking forward to having lunch some time you are working in town. Give Edith or I a call, or an email, and we can find a date that suits us all.

Chow for now ... Lori B.