Monday, September 6, 2010

Ah. It is Monday morning and I'm sitting on my couch in my still as of yet basically bare living room. Things are moving along fairly well but of course I am not yet close to being finished the unpacking process.

The wall in the bedroom has been painted--3X and looks fantastic. I find it calm and yet exciting at the same time. The paint is called 'pre dawn' and is a pinky, raspberry colour. Not very girly yet still pink. The lady at the paint store moved me from a very pinky raspberry to this one that has some definite purple undertones to it. A more grown up colour she insisted than what I had originally picked. The colour was selected to go with a painting I purchased last year in Yellowknife. I posted about it ages ago...October 2009.



It turns out that more than one of my pieces of art looks great up against the wall. I have been placing some of them in front of it and am not wondering if I can get more than one picture up on the wall without it looking crowded. Pictures will come when I relocate my cord for the camera. I went searching for it last night but it could be in Crapaud along with some of my other belongings.

Friday after work I decided to get prepared for the arrival of hurricane Earl and bought some wallpaper to put up on the wall in the living room. Once I had the accent wall for the bedroom planned in my head I thought why stop there...and had the living room wall and kitchen wall planned as well. I couldn't decide what colour to do the living room in though and thought I would head to the paint store find inspiration and go from there. I was inspired to purchase a print that I likely wouldn't have selected a few years ago. It is silver with white flowers and a black vine...you will need to see the pictures. It is quite bold and a bit retro (maybe). It is hanging on the smallest wall in the living room. Just over 5 feet long and with a closet door on one side there isn't a lot of wallpaper but it still produces quite an impact. I put it up on Saturday while waiting for Earl to arrive. It didn't take that long and while it isn't a perfect job--it will do and my telephone table will look great in front of it once it is re-finished.

My parents are arriving this afternoon to help put together my shelving unit, and bed. It is my mom's b'day and so we will be off to my sisters for cake after the chores are done.

Hurricane Earl was down-graded to a tropical storm before arriving in the Maritimes and even then it didn't seem like much of a storm to me. I am glad that Earl took away the humidity. It was so sticky and hot that I hadn't done much work in the apartment or gone for a walk because it was so icky out. The winde and rain that arrived on Saturday was welcome. Even more welcome was the company I had late in the afternoon. LF stopped by for a visit. Over from H'fax for the weekend to see her folks I haven't seen her in years....and am working on getting her signed on for my India trip!

My friend Kim in Banff gave me a deadline to have my apartment finished--next weekend! With a deadline ahead of me I should be able to get more of it done. LOL. Though I reserve the right to re-arrange at will once I have finished.

Coming up this month....I'm walking in the Terry Fox Run across the bridge. A concert at the St. Mary's Church in Indian River. A night at the drive in with 'the girls'. Lunch with some friends.




http://www.wallpaperdirect.co.uk/products-full/osborne-little/avianna/25287

3 comments:

Jack said...

I love the wallpaper design! Also glad to hear Earl was not too bad there, and the heat & humidity are lowered. Still very warm here, but lower humidity is what I have been longing for for months. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

The painting and papering seems to be moving along. The weather is much more pleasant to work in now.

Earl did hit Kings County harder than it hit Ch'town. But we were prepared for much worse and happy to know we didn't get it. I went to our church to watch a wedding that took place at 2 pm which was about the worse part of the storm and the ladies must have dressed at the church because they didn't look wet or wind blown at all. The reception was in a big tent which everyone thougth would blow away but it didn't. They say all was well inside for the meal and dance. I'm sure sure it will still be a wedding to be remembered!

Our electricity went out about 6:45 pm and came on again somethin thorugh the night after 4 am. So it was a long quiet night.

Only a 4 day work week this week - enjoy!

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Glad to hear things going well at apartment. By now your shelf and bed should be up and maybe even ready for you to sleep in tonight after the birthday party (happy birthday to you Jennifer's mom!) The wallpaper is retro looking and with a nice little table in front of it, will be stunning. I'm assuming the phone stand is an antique if you are refinishing it.

It certainly sounds like all is falling into place for you, which is fabulous!

We are all glad that Earl was milder than expected, we were lucky and did not have any power outage at all, a couple of flicks, but nothing to worry about, even though we had tub, jugs, pots, etc. filled with water. Better safe than sorry.

Chat later ... Lori B.