Sunday, November 21, 2010

Time certainly fllies when you are busy. And having fun.

I have now officially survived 5 shifts. I learned how to make cotton candy last week. It was easy and fun and smelled so yummy. I haven't had any popcorn yet--by the time break rolls around I'm immune to the smell and don't 'crave' it.

The kids I work with are great. They have energy to burn and you might be surprised that I have no issues taking orders from 17 year olds. They have worked there longer--they are the experts. Apparently I am trainable. The kids are so great about telling me I am catching on fast and doing a great job. The work itself isn't hard. Take orders--give food. Make correct change. It is very busy this week--Harry Potter opened a few nights ago and the hoards are still arriving. They aren't as busy as expected, but there are still lots of people. One minute the line up in front of the counter is HUGE and then suddenly you look up and the lobby is empty. Time to make more popcorn and sweep up the mess.

The hardest part of the whole thing--standing for that long. The sea legs are still coming. I find my back and neck sore at the end of my shift. I'm thinking of gel soles but will wait another week and see if I just need more time to get used to it. My sneakers are pretty comfy.
*******
The girls are zipping around the house at the moment. They are adorable. This morning I was having a major sleep in and they slept in with me. It was great. They have yet to break anything of which I am very thankful. Anything and everything can be a toy you just need imagination and they have it in spades. A straw, the ring off the milk container, a paper napkin, even a shadow on the wall.

I've been so busy lately juggling the two jobs and trying to get to my m&d's to paint I haven't had a chance to blog--or take pictures. My shifts this week should allow for a bit more me time. Once I have another week or two under my belt I will be better at the juggling. It just takes sometime to get used to it all.

Night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I admire you for even taking on this job at the movie theatre. Working with the 17 year olds will probably make you feel younger and not older. We don't give these people enough credit. It is great to hear they compliment you on how you are doing. I hope the legs and the feet catch up to the mind with the job!

Loved the cat "toy" story. To play is the name of the game and obviously it does not matter what you play with. Don't you wish you were a kitten sometimes!

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Happy Monday! Sounds like life at the theatre is going well. Working with the younger crowd would be interesting. It's great when they open up and you can carry on conversations with them. Interesting age, and somehow, they don't picture any of us ever being that age, or going through anything they go through.

Your "kids" sound like they have settled in with you purrfectly! They might be great feet warmers in bed with you. Other cat lovers will certainly be able to attest to the toy stories, seems cats do like anything!

Your folks must be looking forward to having the job completed at home. It's always nice to get those jobs done, especially when your daughters come and do it!!

Lori B.

Jack said...

Glad to hear the theater is going well for you. The cats, yes, they can invent toys into almost anything. Tie a couple of garbage bag ties together & watch them go wild! Have a great week!