Tuesday, May 17, 2011

So much to think about and do when moving. I'm a pro of sorts but this move has me a bit mystified. I was going to take all my stuff with me but the more I look at apartments in Fort McMurray the more I think that is not a good idea. The unfurnished units are for the most part in the bad parts of town and I would prefer to live in the 'safe' parts. The downtown core isn't a good place to live apparently, the cheaper apartments tend to have more than 1 or 2 people living in them in an effort to save $ and the over-crowding is evident, plus they are noisier.

The more I look and talk to people the more I realize I want to live in a certain part of town. If I live 'across the bridge' I could have up to an hour commute in the evenings to get home. I'm not so keen on that.Living in the part of town that is my top choice means my options are a bit more limited...but that can sometimes be ok and help in the decision making process.

At this moment I am leaning towards putting my 'stuff' into storage and making a decision later. A number of people are suggesting I just sell it and start over but I think that will be a decision for down the road. Having to try and find a home over the internet is tricky. I had some time on Friday when I was in Fort McMurray to look at apartments but it was limited and I only saw the inside of one unit....I wasn't impressed. In the long run for about the same amount of money I can have a new furnished unit vs the old, scuzzy apartment that won't fit my furniture. I think....at this moment....and I reserve the right to change my mind 5 minutes from now....that the best idea is to take a furnished unit. Move most of my belongings into storage and once I am on the ground and a bit settled make the decision. The money to help with the move will still be there 6 months from now and really it is hard to tell from a picture on the internet if your 'stuff' will fit into the bedroom you are viewing.

So...yep, decision made.


Well...for the moment.

Lots of lunch plans, supper plans, tea/coffee dates being made. I am already starting to regret giving two weeks notice at the movie theatre...as no doubt the shifts are going to start to get in the way of socializing! I wanted something to keep me grounded over the next couple of weeks while I get ready to leave and I have enjoyed my time at the theatre. If I have all the time in the world the packing will take forever, if I know that I only have certain days/times to pack it will get done. If you told me I had to have it all ready for tomorrow--I  could do it. If you tell me I have two weeks to pack--I could do it....and I'd start a couple days before.

3 comments:

Jack said...

Jennifer,

I think you are making the right decision in storing your belongings and taking a furnished unit. You don't want to end up in a bad side of town in an old apartment, especially in light of moving across the country. It sounds wise to store it and decide later after you are settled in. Good luck packing and getting the kittens ready for the move.

Jack

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Decisions, decisions, decisions - who says only people building a new house have all the decisions to make. I agree with Jack. Store stuff here for now. Move into a furnished apartment. But,,,, be sure you have the measurements of all your belongs so you will know what may or may not fit in your new digs when you decide you might want to keep things. I'm sure you can take your pictures/prints that have such meaning to you. The one thing you may want is your own bed - the one you know you will sleep comfortable in. If there is a bed there waiting for you then put it in storage until you decide what to do with it. Remember that the kittens (the babies) may want something familiar from their "now home" when they move to some place new. I agree that you can pack fast or slow. But slow does give you time to think and re-think what you might want and need. Good luck - don't know why I'm giving advice to the pro.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Storing stuff appears to be the popular vote, if votes count here! I think it would be tricky to decide what to take and what to store, I agree with Edith about your art, nice to have some of your own to make an apt feel like it's yours. I would definitely want my own bed, or a new mattress, not keen on sharing mattresses with strangers! Must be difficult to try and find something online, but good you had a bit of time while there to check the lay of the land, knowing what is good or bad areas is a plus while checking on line I'm sure.

See you at lunch ... Lori B.