Sunday, May 15, 2011

I'm back in PEI. This is Sunday and I was able to sleep in until 11:30am...which is really only 8:30am Alberta time. Last week was a whirlwind of activity.

Sunday I flew from PEI to Fort McMurray. I left in the evening and arrived around 11:30pm in good spirits. Considering it was 2:30am PEI time my good mood was a bit surprising. I had a great sleep and went to an interview at 11:30am on Monday. Spent until 3pm being interviewed and meeting staff. Everyone was wonderful and they seem like a great group of people. Flew to Calgary Monday evening.

Tuesday I had the pleasure of visiting with friends all day. My 9:30am coffee chat lasted until almost 12noon and if I hadn't already booked lunch plans for 12 I'm sure the chat would have lasted longer. It was one of those chats where you cover a variety of topics and just enjoy the conversation and where it takes you. Thanks K. The lunch was also wonderful...catching up with a former GV'er and chatting about India then and now. She 'gets me' and my career choices/decisions so it was nice to chat with someone about that as well. I headed back downtown after lunch and wandered for a bit...then I did something that still surprises me a bit...I got a battery for my watch. This may not seem like an extraordinary event but I haven't worn a watch since January 2005 so for me it was quite out of the ordinary. The afternoon ended with meeting up with another pal from Edmonton who gave me a lift to the airport--which is a HUGE thing considering the distance and he even hung out with me until my shuttle to Banff left. Thank J--hope to see you again soon. Then I boarded the shuttle to Banff and met up with my friend Kim who quickly shuttled me off to supper with 8 of her friends.

There was lots of laughter coming from our table and again the conversation flowed so well covering a number of topics. The only time we could be silenced was when the next course came out and we took the first few bites. I crashed shortly after supper and it was an early night for us.

Wednesday we hiked up Turtle Mountain. It was really nice and the views of Banff are terrific. I highly recommend it. It isn't a really difficult hike but it is a lot of vertical movement. In the afternoon we wandered around Banff proper and made a couple of purchases...a box of chocolates for my kitten sitter and some of my favorite tea. Then a trip to the local Cold Stone Creamery at the local Tim Hortons...OMG...it was SOOOO good. I must go again...soon. I had the cake batter ice cream with brownie, pecans and caramel in it...WOW. I was in love with each mouthful. It's an expensive treat but worth the price of admission. The evening ended with a trip to the hot springs..my first...finally! It was a great Banff day.

Thursday Kim and headed to Calgary where we did a wee bit of shopping and then off to a movie in the afternoon. Then the long road back to the airport. I hopped a flight back up to Fort McMurray. Another interview Friday morning and by noon I was free. I rented a car and spent the rest of the day driving around Fort McMurray looking for apartments. I viewed one and wasn't overly impressed with what I saw. The view was nice but it was on the small side and old. There are two types of places in Fort McMurray...old and new...this was old. Old means cheaper....so guess I will be looking at the new.

Yep, you probably read that right. I'm looking for an apartment in Fort McMurray! On Wednesday morning I received a verbal offer from the company I met with on Monday and I verbally accepted. When I arrived back from the interview Friday morning I had the actual offer in my in box. I am happy to accept it. I'll pass out the details later in the week...once they have the actual documents signed and sent in....but for now, yes, I have a new job in Fort McMurray and I will likely be starting on June 6. Whoo hooo!!!

It's 1:30pm on Sunday afternoon here in PEI...I work at the movie theatre in 45 minutes and should really get my act in gear.

3 comments:

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer,

BIG congrats to you & your new job!! Even thought you're leaving the island, I feel by your writing that it will be something you will like. The people sound great to work for and with. See, you did it, you got it, and it came right on time! Speaking of writing, have you ever considered seriously writing? By reading your journal about Paris, you would do well as a writer, too. Thumbs crossed for your new digs in Ft. McMurray!

Jack

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Jennifer, even if it's a short time here.

Wow, what a week you had!! Congrats on the job, hope you are able to find an apt that is more to your liking - I assume that will happen when you get out there. It's great that you got some Jennifer time in that trip as well, you certainly needed some time to unwind and just enjoy people.

Hope that we get to see you before you leave (again!). Looking forward to hearing more about the new job, what it is, how big a company, all those details! Hope the kitties are up for a trip!

Chat later ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: I add my congratulations to Jack and Lori's. I can't imagine the relief you must be feeling that you have a new job. I know it is West again and not East but you sound really happy about the interview and the people. I know your kitties will be happy living where ever you are so they won't care if they are Islanders or Albertains.

You sound like you had a busy but fun week. I'm glad you got to see so many good friends and that they treated you so well. You were at a stage where you really needed to find support from all sources and it sounded like they were all behind you 100% and I hope that built up your self-esteem again.

We will be sorry to lose you from the Island. Seems like you just got here.

I second Jack's comments regarding you becoming a writer. Jack may not be aware of your incredible photograpy talents to go with it so you would be taking your own pictures to go with your writings. Never lose faith in these two talents should you choose to do something serious with them.

Edith