Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm in Kenora....I've been here before...twice actually. I am only 60ish km from the border into Manitoba and while every ounce of me wanted to just be finished with Ontario...I stayed in Kenora. I'm not sure about hotels just inside the Manitoba border and I knew I'd be tired and cranky if I had to start searching for one....so I'm still in Ontario. BUT, tomorrow night, Tuesday as most of you read this I will be in Regina, Saskatchewan. Yep...two provinces crossed off the list. Whoo hoo!!!

Total distance today, about 950ish km. Total distance so far just over 3,200km...which means I'm over halfway there. YEAH!

Meant to tell you yesterday I saw a turtle. A really BIG turtle crossing the road the other day. It was well over a foot long and had rather long legs...which I have only ever seen in cartoons. I've also seen moose(s), deer, what looked like a wild turkey and a mother duck with a half dozen or so ducklings, plus a lot of birds.

And now...sleep.

3 comments:

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like you are making great mileage & time so far. It will be over soon, what a relief that will be! Never seen or heard of a turtle like that before. Only big one I have ever seen was in northern Florida, and that was a huge snapping turtle. Keep pushing along and make sure you get adequate rest.

Jack

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Didn't expect another update so soon, but needless to say thrilled to get it so we know that you are safely tucked in somewhere!! I guess I was hoping to see a little post, otherwise I wouldn't have looked would I??

If I ever get the chance to drive across Canada I know who to call to ask about hotels and highways, especially the wild, and not so wild, life. A big turtle, who would of expected that?? Sounds like you had to do a double take to be sure it was what you thought.

Glad to hear the driving is going well - over half way - impressive to be doing such long days in Big Red! You must be pleased with yourself and please give yourself a pat on the back as we aren't there to do it for you!!

Hope today (Tuesday) was as successful as your previous days.

Take care ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I love the wild life update. I once saw a small turtle cross the road in Cape Breton but what you saw would have been amazing. I thought my turtle was something to see but yours would have been so much better. My Winnipeg cousins have a cottage in Kenora. I hear about it all the time and I know it is on the border of the two provinces but I have never been there. Some day! I think you were wise to stop for the night when you knew you could get accommodations instead of crossing the border and wasting time, energy, and sleep looking. I second what Lori said, if I ever drive across Canada I want you to give me directions on where to travel through and stay. And driving across Canada is in my bucket list for when I retire.

I know you are just a good day's driving from Alberta. But you do have to get to northern Alberta to reach Fr. McMurray. Safe driving, continue to enjoy the drive and savour the peace and quiet of just you and the radio and the road. There will be plenty of buzz, etc. when you reach your destination.

Edith