Wednesday, May 25, 2011

November 15, 2010

"No time this am for an update. Waiting for the fix it man to arrive as apparently my pipes are leaking into the apartment below. The girls are in the closet until after he leaves. They love to run and jump and play with anything that moves and I have a feeling he might not appreciate their help"

So back in November it was a big crisis in my apartment...according to one of the maintenance folks my bathroom sink was leaking into the apartment below me...well, not on my level it isn't so it must be between the floors. The guy came in and said it needed to be fixed right away. And then he never came back....until last week.

On Friday he showed up again saying he needed to fix the sink. I said why don't you come on June 1--the day after I move out. "nope, it needs to be done sooner than that." Which is why he is here again today--Wednesday and once again the girls are in the closet--wondering no doubt what they did wrong.

The packing is going well. I need to get a few things moved out of the apartment to really make a dent. There are piles all over the place and once a few of the piles disappear the chaos will disappear. My goal for today is to get the kitchen cupboards finished.

Movers--booked
Cleaners--booked
First class tickets for cats--booked (not really, they are going cargo--but same idea)
Kennel--booked
Am I ready? You bet I am....or, I will be.

The kids are off to Paws by the Beach a kennel in Mermaid. The owner seems fantastic and the girls will get their own bedroom to hang out in. I decided to move them to the kennel on Friday so I can finish the packing, have the movers in and get a bit of painting done before the move. Somehow their furry little feet and an open can of paint is spelling disaster to me.


I was in the bedroom this morning packing a few things into my travel suitcase that will sit in the front of the truck with me. The suitcase has old clothes in it that will be tossed out at the end of each day of wearing. You know the stuff, the socks with the toe missing, the undies with the elastic that stretches just a bit too much, those kinds of items. The suitcase will get lighter as the trip goes on and I still get clean clothes to wear each morning. Yeah! Anyway, I was sorting clothes and looked over to find Tundra sitting in the suitcase..I know cats can't speak and I'm certainly not able to read their minds but she seemed to be saying 'take me with you this time'. I feel bad sending them off to the kennel a full week before I go but I think it is for the best in the long run.

I am leaving here on June 3 and hope to arrive in Edmonton by June 8 or 9. I will spend that night in Edmonton and do some grocery shopping the next day and arrive in Fort McMurray by early afternoon on the 10th. I have the weekend to unpack and start work on Monday, June 13th. The cats will arrive around noon on Sunday the 12th. The wonderful owner of Paws by the Beach said she was willing to drive them to the airport on my behalf....YEAH!! The flight leaves at 6am, which means they need to check in at 5am. Bless this women for her kindness.

This is leaving me LOTS of time to drive across the country. I did it before in the same amount of time but with the Uhaul so I know I will have an easier time of it without the Uhaul and will likely be able to drive longer each day, but I am hoping to stop and do a bit of visiting along the way. The no Uhaul already makes my load feel lighter. So...if you live along the trans Canada highway between Charlottetown and Fort McMurray...get ready!

3 comments:

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer:

Wow!, busy busy lady! But a good, productive busy, I am sure. Sorry they had to come today about the apartment.. The girls in the closet again. No doubt they want to go with you, mine got into my suitcase one time, then when he saw me loading bags into the car, I got the 'silent' treatment the night before I left, and got 'cursed' out loudly upon my return. I envy you driving across country, sounds so much fun to do! It will all be over soon, and you will be in your new digs with your babies reunited. Cheers to Fort McMurray!

Jack

Jack said...

Jennifer:

PS:

The look she is giving you is: "Think you're going somewhere again!??" What a sweetheart she is.

Jack

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Things do seem to be coming togther for you. I'm so pleased you like the kennel and that the lady will take the girls to the airport for you. That speaks volumns about their service.

What a novel idea for throwing out the old on route and having the suitcase get lighter.

You will be heading out on the road so soon.

Edith