Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why iqaluk? Cause that means fish in Inuktitut. And frankly I feel like a fish out of water here in the 'big city'. A lady I met today laughed when she heard me call Calgary a big city...she just moved here from New York City...so it really is all about perspective.

Today we went down to a part of town called Kensington. Had our tarot cards read and had a wonderful lunch. According to my reading I will not be finding a cowboy anytime soon. I need to work on me first. Which I have been doing, but apparently I still need some work. The move to Calgary was a good move and will bring me what I want/need....but...I need to figure out what that is first. I am suppossed to make a list of my talents. I don't have many so that won't ruin the environment with the paper I write it down on. I also need to decide what I want. What kind of apartment I want, where I want it, what kind of job I want to have, what kind of life I want to lead and once I have figured all this out I will have it. Easier said than done isn't it.

The guy that did my reading wasn't impressed with the fact that I said that 'home' was wherever my shoes are. He said it should be in my heart. I didn't want to explain how much I love my shoes. And he said that until I erased the negative thoughts from my mind I wouldn't get anything I wanted...like the apartment. He said I need to picture myself living there and enjoying it and once I was able to do that I would get it. Cause really all I can think about is that I gave a cheque for $800 to a total stranger who promised to take all my personal information...give it to someone else, have them do a credit/reference check on me and then give me a home. I keep thinking...should I cancel the cheque. Is this a scam? Are they going to jack up the rent on me? Why won't they let me sign a lease? Why is it taking so long if they are so anxious to rent? Do I need to keep looking.

Honestly, once I found this place Monday night I stopped looking. I was happy (thrilled actually) that I had found the perfect apartment for the price I wanted to spend (read: could afford). It is gorgeous. Has old style hardwood floors, is within walking distance of my office, is in an amazing part of town and has everything I could ask for...including a hunky building manager...who is headed to Whitehorse later this year. I don't want to look anymore. I tried to take the tarot readers advice and decorated it in my head this afternoon...it didn't help. Maybe tomorrow I will get word.

After lunch we bought these HUGE cupcakes that are probably illegal in 50 states and went to have pedicures. It was relaxing and very nice. After that we headed to a pub for supper and a few drinks. Overall a great day.

Tomorrow my BFA needs to go downtown (a possible job change is in the works) and I am going to head to my new office and meet my new boss. I should probably have called ahead, but it was an after hours decision. I went to the uhaul and have pulled out my suitcase. I figure I should meet all these folks at least dress half professionally. Instead of my walmart t-shirt and jeans I will be wearing a nice dressy top and jeans...but my feet will look gorgeous....pedicures really are worth the money!

This fish out of water is going to read and hopefully get to bed early. Big day tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Ok, the world is not determined by tarot cards. If you start thinking the right place to live, the right job to work in and the right guy in your life is all going to happen because of having your cards read, then I'm seriously going to worry about you.

It sounds like you have found the place you would be happy to live in. If they don't let you rent it then you know there are places you would like and can afford out there.

Dressing up and visiting the new work site is a great way to break the ice before work day # 1. You'll have met some people, gotten the lay out of the office and have all that behind you by the time you arrive for work on day # 1.

Don't forget, you are re-charging your batteries these days. You need these few 'down days' after a long drive across Canada; a stressful departure from the North waiting for a plane to finally fly you home; and the rush of driving to Montreal for the truck and back to PEI to pack for the trip across Canada.

Let a little of the stress go. Put some trust in God that the apartment and the job will work out. You are going to be fine.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

I don't think you should worry too much about the guy reading cards. You are definitely not someone with negative thoughts. If you were, you never would have gone on the adventures you have had over the last few years! I'm hoping that by the time you read this, you will have found out the apt is yours and have a key! Fingers crossed here for you !!

Glad to note you are having some down time - well deserved after your loooonnng departure from the North and all that has been going on from the time you left there and arrived in Calgary.

Your mom and dad must be glad you are somewhere that will be easier to visit, I've noticed lots of seat sales lately.

Have a great long weekend ... Lori B.